Wednesday 14 September 2011

So long...farewell...

Aside from frantically packing for my three and a half month stint across the globe, I am also reflecting on the last year. I am still perplexed as to how I have come to this incredible shift in my life.

A year ago I didn't even have the confidence to say that I wanted to travel around the world alone, let alone get to the point of booking the tickets and quiting my job. But here I am, soon to get on a plane which I haven't done in three years and it is taking me to the Navajo community where my journey truly begins.

Ever since I was a small child, I was fascinated by Native Americans; their tribes, their languages and their stunning beauty always lifted my heart. I loved their ancient tales, their medicine and their songs made the hairs on the back of my neck rise - I even collected feathers.

So when I started planning this trip, I knew it had to begin with them. I found the Navajo reservation in Arizona and contacted them instantly. I enthusiastically enrolled as a volunteer to give my services to their community.

In just a few days, I will be sharing that desert land with those that are most connected to the earth, those that listen to it and adopt its wisdom. And from then, I will carry that wisdom with me to San Francisco, Singapore, Bali and Nepal.

I can assure you that I won't be that traveller that gawks at every landmark listed in the guide book and meanders down busy streets with a map permanently in their grip...no, no. It's the simplicity I want and the humbleness I aim to feel. With an open mind and peace in my heart, I go on.

As the Native American war leader, Crazy Horse once said:


"A very great vision is needed and the man
who has it must follow it as the eagle seeks
the deepest blue of the sky".


2 comments:

  1. Beautiful words from a beautiful being :) love you lots, speak very soon xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you my love, I'm glad you think so :) Love you too xxxx

    ReplyDelete