Thursday 17 November 2011

Joyeux Anniversaire

Last night, I prepared myself for Anne's birthday party which I'd been told was being held on a boat - now I'm not a fan of being on a boat but I reasoned that it wouldn't matter too much as I'd probably get merry enough to not care and I'd be in the good company of my new French friends. But to my delight, the venue had been changed to Linga Longa, a very cool little bar about two roads away from where I'm staying. They always have live music and the staff like to know you by name.

Loïc had written a song for us to perform as a surprise for Anne so we turned up with the guitar and a few copies of the song and had a quick rehearsal with the guys before she arrived. Anne had tears in her eyes when we sang to her. I wish I had filmed it or gotten pictures but I was up on stage with the boys trying to keep up with French lyrics; I mimed most of it but the gusto was there.

In fact, I didn't get many pictures of anything really - I always seem to be really bad at taking photos on nights out or at parties. I'm usually having too much fun to walk around snapping everyone. When I do remember to get the camera out, I end up with crap snaps of people's shoulders and strangers walking infront of what I'm trying to capture. I got just a few from last night. They're not great but something for you to look at:


The Birthday Girl (and Pascal)


The band (not including the woman about to walk infront of me, of course)


Loïc and Franck

Damien jamming with the band

The night also consisted of free beer and me dancing to a Gypsy Kings medley, the room a little blurry by this point as I span around and pulled a few Spanish moves. I also got talking to Pascal who is a freelance photographer and is interested in doing a collaboration project with me; he's keen for me to write some prose to go with his photographs. He gave me his card and told me to come and check out his portfolio sometime - so we'll see if that manifests or not, but still, I'm so pleased that he's keen to work with me, let's hope that it's a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment